PIETERMARITZBURG GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL
~ Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal ~
Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School is a leading school for girls, which provides education from Grade 8 to Grade 12. The school has consistently been rated as one of the Top 25 Government Schools within South Africa. The school was founded in 1920 and continues to provide an outstanding education for young women in the academic, cultural and sporting fields.
As a school, our mission is to promote human dignity and equal opportunity, the maximum freedom of the individual within the context of the maximum good for all, excellence according to the talent and interest of each person, a sound set of values, service, a respect for community and environment, a commitment to the search for truth, the acquisition of knowledge and the development of skills.
ACADEMIC SUPPORT: LABORATORY (LAB) TECHNICIAN
(START DATE: APRIL 2021)
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set up and pack away experiments and demonstrations required by the various department staff (Physics, Life and Natural Sciences)
- Prepare equipment and chemicals before lessons - from test tubes to state-of-the-art microscopes
- Ensure that equipment is properly cleaned and that chemicals, drugs and other materials are appropriately stored
- Record and dispose of equipment and chemicals which are unusable
- Collecting fresh plan matter and animal material
- Making up solutions and reagents
- Liaise with Heads of Subjects (Physical Sciences, Life and Natural Sciences) with regards to requirements for equipment and chemicals
- Obtain quotes, order, and take receipt of equipment and chemicals as required
- Purchase and collect any consumables required for practical work
- Maintain inventories for equipment and chemicals which must be updated annually
- Liaise with academic staff to discuss timetables, equipment requirements and work plans
- Maintain and repair equipment and laboratory apparatus
- Support the work of teachers in classes and laboratory sessions and give technical advice to staff and students
- Manage the stock control of chemicals and equipment
- Ensure that all health and safety procedures are understood and followed correctly
Necessary qualifications and skills would include:
- Minimum requirement is a Grade 12 certificate with merit pass in Physical Science and Mathematics at Grade 12 level
- A suitable tertiary qualification that includes practical laboratory training would be an advantage
- Experience in chemical solution preparation and use of specialist equipment.
- Excellent scientific and technical knowledge and good IT skills
- Ability to compile and maintain inventory
- The ability to cope with competing demands
- Knowledge of laboratory health and safety procedures
- Strong communication skills - ability to relate to both staff and students
- Ability to plan and organise work and to work independently
- Strong practical and organisational skills with the ability to manage your own workload
- A thorough, meticulous approach
ALL GHS staff are expected to:
- Perform all of their duties with integrity and diligence
- Project a professional demeanour and appearance at all times
- Develop positive relationships with members of the GHS school community, which includes parents, learners and colleagues
- Be prepared to support and uphold the ethos of the school as contained in the Mission Statement
The salary package will be based on qualifications and previous experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 12 MARCH 2021
Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School reserves the right not to fill this position.
If you have not been contacted by the school within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
We thank you for your interest in our school.