The Diocesan School for Girls (DSG)
~ Makhanda, Eastern Cape ~
Founded in 1874, The Diocesan School for Girls (DSG) is one of the oldest girls’ schools in South Africa. Our tradition of excellence is built on five pillars: academic, cultural, sporting, spiritual and community. Whilst cherishing our tradition, we recognise the need to be at the cutting edge of educational trends.
Our aim is to develop girls who are forward thinking, transformative in their world-view and critical, independent problem-solvers, who can make sound ethical judgments with a keen sense of their social responsibilities. Ultimately, a DSG girl will be a confident, strong young woman who is able to lead and play a meaningful role as a global citizen.
TEACHER INTERNSHIP VACANCIES
To commence: January 2022
The Diocesan School for Girls, situated in Makhanda (formerly Grahamstown) in the Eastern Cape, offers young women with a passion for teaching and learning, who see themselves working towards a permanent career in education, the opportunity to join our successful intern programme.
Our ideal candidates are women under the age of 25 who:
- share the values and vision of DSG around transformation, diversity and belonging.
- are currently working towards a career in teaching (BEd Intermediate Phase) OR who plan to register for a PGCE through distance learning in 2021 and are interested in gaining professional experience in the workplace
- offer co-curricular skills in sports or cultural activities
- support the Christian values and ethos of the school
Full involvement in all aspects of school life is expected, including:
- observing, assisting and completing teaching practice in the classroom
- contributing to pastoral care of our girls through duties in a boarding house, tutoring and bus duties
- Sports coaching or management of a sports team (where appropriate)
- Assisting with clubs and cultural activities
- Actively supporting DSG’s community engagement programme
The school offers:
- mentorship and guidance from experienced teachers
- sufficient time for studies
- university fees and books
- board and lodging, as well as a small stipend
The application form is available on our website at https://dsgschool.com/about-dsg/employment/
Candidates from previously disadvantaged groups will be strongly considered. All applications will be treated in strict confidence. The Diocesan School for Girls reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.
 As DSG is a girls’ boarding school and interns are required to live in the boarding houses, preference will be given to female candidates