PIETERMARITZBURG GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL
~ Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal ~
Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School offers girls from Grade 8 to Grade 12 a dynamic learning environment, with diverse opportunities for the development of each individual. GHS is a proudly South African school, led by highly-qualified and dedicated educators who guide our learners in maintaining a balance between their academic, sporting and cultural endeavours.
General description of the position
Provide effective administrative support as a receptionist, academic database management as well as general administration duties. S/he will be required to have the capability to prioritise, plan and organise work in an efficient and effective manner.
List of job roles and responsibilities
Back up Reception and Front Office:
- Serve visitors by greeting, welcoming, directing and announcing them appropriately
- Answer, screen and forward any incoming phone calls while providing basic information when needed
- Setting up of appointments with management for parents
- Attending to all general queries
- Exeats and signing out for staff and learners
- Relay messages to staff and learners
- Receive deliveries
- Maintains a professional reception area by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations
- Perform clerical receptionist duties such as filing, typing, photocopying, collating, faxing etc.
- Serve as a back for the D6 as an academic administrator
- Assist with academic administrative function – Exams/reports/submissions/database management etc.
- Manage the keys for the school
- Vehicle bookings (internal and external vehicles) and liaise with drivers.
- Perform additional general administrative duties such as filing, typing, photocopying, collating, etc.
- Provide assistance in various administrative departments of the school on an as needed basis (i.e. HR, Marketing, Library, Finance, IT, Admissions etc.)
Hours of work:
- Monday – Friday, 07:15 – 16:00
- After-hour and weekend commitments required as necessary
- Perform duties during the school holidays as required. The incumbent will benefit from a portion of each school holiday.
Necessary qualifications and skills would include:
- Relevant degree or diploma
- Minimum of 3 years’ reception experience
- Highly motivated and able to take initiative
- Ability to work in a fast – paced, dynamic environment meeting multiple deadlines
- Exceptionally detailed in work
- Ability to communicate to a variety of audiences
- D6/SA-SAMS/Ed-Admin knowledge and experience
- Excellent Microsoft Office Suite knowledge (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
ALL GHS staff are expected to:
- Perform all of their duties with integrity and diligence.
- Project a professional demeanour and appearance at all times.
- Develop positive relationships with members of the GHS school community, which includes parents, learners and colleagues.
- Be prepared to support and uphold the ethos of the school as contained in the Mission Statement.
NOTE: The responsibilities associated with this job will change from time to time in accordance with the School’s needs. More specifically, the incumbent may be required to perform additional and/or different roles from those detailed in their Job Profile. The Job Profile is not intended to be an all inclusive list of the roles and outcomes of the job described, nor is it intended to be such a listing of the skills requirements to do the job. Rather, it is intended to describe the general nature of the job.
ll applications will be treated in strict confidence.
The school reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview.
Under the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) which came into effect on 1 July 2021, all organisations and schools alike have a legal obligation to manage the personal information it processes appropriately, by applying specific principles and conditions.
Our school is committed to ensuring the security and protection of your personal information and to provide a compliant and consistent approach to data protection.