PIETERMARITZBURG GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL
~ Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal ~
Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School offers girls from Grade 8 to Grade 12 a dynamic learning environment, with diverse opportunities for the development of each individual. GHS is a proudly South African school, led by highly-qualified and dedicated educators who guide our learners in maintaining a balance between their academic, sporting and cultural endeavours.
FUNCTIONS COORDINATOR / ESTATE ASSISTANT
(START DATE: AUGUST 2021)
The Functions Coordinator is responsible for the strategic planning, organisation and execution of a wide range of events for the school to support internal and external strategic goals, supporting both the retention of students and continued growth. He/she will need to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders including, but not limited to, the school administration, teachers, facilities and logistics teams, prospective parents and parents. The primary focus of the role is to co-plan, coordinate and manage a calendar of external and internal events on and off campus, organising and running these events, as well as supporting teachers and Academic leadership in delivering and liaising closely with internal communications, marketing, facilities and the IT team.
As the Estate Assistant, the incumbent will also provide support to the Estates Manager with various forms of administrative support and in so doing uphold the professional image of the school. Support of housekeeping and stock control.
Job roles and responsibilities
- Organise, coordinate, and attend meetings, as required, to plan, promote, and implement school events
- Works alongside the Marketing and Management team to provide strategic direction, organisation and execution of all events
- Review, refine, and support the execution of the internal event calendar, working closely with the Marketing Manager and Management team
- Works collaboratively with staff across the school, and when appropriate students, providing strategic advice and key liaison with estates and logistics teams
- Contributes to budget management, ensuring effective use of spend of related functions budgets (i.e., catering budget etc)
- Purchase, store and distribution of groceries for the School and Boarding Establishment (i.e. tea, coffee, cleaning agents, disposables etc)
- Coordinate the hiring of the Boarding Establishment
- Provide support to Estates Manager/s with regard to sourcing quotes, order numbers etc
- General administration for the Estate Manager as needed
- Liaise with cleaners to ensure ablution block and housekeeping is managed accordingly
- Liaise with laundry as needed
- Manage the keys for the school
- Stock control e.g., McDowall Centre Kitchen, Staffroom Kitchen, Admin Tearoom etc. This includes compiling inventory lists and checking stock on a regular basis
- Manage budgets and ordering of chemicals, soaps, paper hand towels etc.
- Vehicle bookings (internal and external vehicles) and liaise with drivers.
- Venue bookings, i.e., Department of Education, school functions etc.
- Leave administration for support staff, ordering of staff uniforms etc
- Perform additional general administrative duties such as filing, typing, photocopying, collating, etc.
Hours of work: 07:00 – 16:00
Necessary qualifications and skills would include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing or related field or related experience
- Minimum if 3 years supervisory experience
- Experience with event planning and management
- Ability to establish and follow budgets
- Ability to work with others
- Highly motivated and able to take initiative
- Ability to work in a fast – paced, dynamic environment meeting multiple deadlines
- Strategic thinker with the ability to learn existing processes and improve them by setting up new procedures
- Exceptionally detailed in work
- Ability to communicate to a variety of audiences
• Strong organizational skills
• Desire to work collaboratively with colleagues
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
ALL GHS staff are expected to:
- Perform all of their duties with integrity and diligence.
- Project a professional demeanour and appearance at all times.
- Develop positive relationships with members of the GHS school community, which includes parents, learners and colleagues.
- Be prepared to support and uphold the ethos of the school as contained in the Mission Statement.
The salary package will be based on qualifications and previous experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 31 MAY 2021
Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School reserves the right not to fill this position.
If you have not been contacted by the school within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
We thank you for your interest in our school.