Merchiston Preparatory School
~ Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal ~
Merchiston Preparatory School, established in 1892 caters for boys from Grade RRR to Grade 7. Merchiston is steeped in tradition and embraces all the good that the past offered and also seeks to be a forerunner in what the future holds.
Educational Psychologist / Counsellor
The School is looking to employ a passionate Educational Psychologist / Counsellor to support the boys as well as the staff
This position is available in Term 3, 2021. It is a full-time position of 5 days per week during school hours.
- Emotional Support to primary school learners (4 years old to 15 years old) and educators.
- Designing mental-health intervention and prevention programs.
- Implementing counselling and psycho-education (individual and group).
- Researching new methods to improve children’s wellbeing.
- Mentoring and supporting teachers of high-risk children.
- Guiding parents in facilitating their child’s emotional progress.
- Compliance with the relevant legislative framework and ethical conduct in line with HPCSA and other relevant regulations; the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and appropriate boundaries in all matters related to the role.
- The ability to prioritize; multi-task and work under pressure within a school environment.
- Effective communication and counselling skills.
- Integrity and professionalism.
- A positive, patient, and resilient personality.
- The ability to work in a team environment.
- Suitable professional qualifications and appropriate educational experience.
- Professional registration with the Health Professions
- Council of South Africa; and CPD compliant.
- No criminal record – valid police clearance certificate
Only suitable candidates will be considered. Submission of an application does not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.