PIETERMARITZBURG GIRLS' HIGH SCHOOL
~ Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal ~
Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School offers girls from Grade 8 to Grade 12 a dynamic learning environment, with diverse opportunities for the development of each individual. GHS is a proudly South African school, led by highly-qualified and dedicated educators who guide our learners in maintaining a balance between their academic, sporting and cultural endeavours.
EVENTS AND ALUMNI COORDINATOR
The events coordinator is responsible for the strategic planning, organisation and execution of a wide range of events for the school to support internal and external strategic goals, supporting both the retention of students and continued growth. He/she will need to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders including, but not limited to, the school administration, teachers, facilities and logistics teams, prospective parents and parents. The primary focus of the role is to co-plan, coordinate and manage a calendar of external and internal events on and off campus, organising and running these events, as well as supporting teachers and leadership in delivering and liaising closely with internal communications, marketing, facilities and the IT team. The Alumni Relations part of the role will focus on the general administration required to identify and keep records of our alumni. This person will be responsible for building and managing the school's alumni network and strengthening our contact with GHS past pupils now scattered across the world.
List of job roles and responsibilities
Events and Functions Coordination:
- Organise, coordinate, and attend meetings, as required, to plan, promote, and implement school events
- Works alongside the Marketing and Management team to provide strategic direction, organisation and execution of all events
- Plan, review, refine, and support the execution of the internal functions and events calendar (including all academic, cultural and sporting events/fixtures), working closely with the Marketing Manager and Management team
- Works collaboratively with staff across the school, and when appropriate students, providing strategic advice and key liaison with estates and logistics teams
- Contributes to budget management, ensuring effective use of spend of related functions budgets (i.e., catering budget etc.)
- Purchase, store and distribution of groceries for the School and Boarding Establishment (i.e., tea, coffee, cleaning agents, disposables etc.)
- An alumni relations officer organizes and supports events and programs through the alumni relations office.
- Primary responsibilities are to handle the promotion of special events through social media and direct contact with alumni, plan and develop projects, and oversee the actual events.
- Identify alumni, create and maintain alumni records using our existing online alumni administration programme.
- Organizes and coordinates alumni functions with special responsibility for one or more of the following: local, regional and national chapters, alumni publications, fund raising, recognition and awards, reunions, investments and other special events and services.
- Establish a fundraising program, and drive, to capacitate the GHS Trust with funds that can be used for Sports and academic scholarships
- Maintain regular communication in order to establish ongoing relationships and strengthen alumni connections to GHS.
- Work with Marketing to generate materials and various communication items used for communication with alumni.
- Act as the first point of contact for individuals seeking information about alumni activities
- Be part of the team responsible for the strategic development of our alumni relations.
- Oversee the maintenance of the archives and the newly opened GHS museum.
- Marketing department assistance
- Admissions assistance (EXPOs, talks, events etc)
- Venue bookings, i.e., Department of Education, school functions etc.v
- Perform additional general administrative duties such as filing, typing, photocopying, collating, etc.
Hours of work:
- Monday - Friday, 07:15 - 16:00
- After-hour and weekend commitments required as necessary
- Perform duties during the school holidays as required. The incumbent will benefit from a portion of each school holiday.
Necessary qualifications and skills would include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Marketing or related field or related experience
- Experience with event planning and management
- Ability to establish and follow budgets
- Ability to work with others
- Highly motivated and able to take initiative
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment meeting multiple deadlines
- Strategic thinker with the ability to learn existing processes and improve them by setting up new procedures
- Exceptionally detailed in work
- Ability to communicate to a variety of audiences
- Strong organizational skills
- Desire to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
ALL GHS staff are expected to:
- Perform all of their duties with integrity and diligence.
- Project a professional demeanour and appearance at all times.
- Develop positive relationships with members of the GHS school community, which includes parents, learners and colleagues.
- Be prepared to support and uphold the ethos of the school as contained in the Mission Statement.
NOTE: The responsibilities associated with this job will change from time to time in accordance with the School's needs. More specifically, the incumbent may be required to perform additional and/or different roles from those detailed in their Job Profile. The Job Profile is not intended to be an all inclusive list of the roles and outcomes of the job described, nor is it intended to be such a listing of the skills requirements to do the job. Rather, it is intended to describe the general nature of the job.
All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
The school reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview.
Under the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) which came into effect on 1 July 2021, all organisations and schools alike have a legal obligation to manage the personal information it processes appropriately, by applying specific principles and conditions.
Our school is committed to ensuring the security and protection of your personal information and to provide a compliant and consistent approach to data protection.