~ Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal ~
HEAD OF SCHOOL AND PRINCIPAL OF THE HIGH SCHOOL
Epworth, founded in 1898 and situated on a beautiful, secure 15-hectare campus in Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg (KwaZulu-Natal) is one of South Africa’s leading independent schools.
Leveraging a successful 121-year history of excellence and caring, Epworth is a uniquely co-educational preparatory and pre-primary, and an all-girls’ high school grounded in the Methodist ethos, where children from all faiths are welcome.
Epworth is a member of the Independent Schools Association of South Africa and registered with the Independent Examinations Board. The school has an outstanding record in preparing pupils for the modern world and offers an excellent academic and co-curricular programme. Epworth has an inspirational tradition, which we cherish, and we look forward to an innovative and exciting future.
We see it as our responsibility to inspire achievement in a diverse and nurturing environment; to embrace differences; to encourage collaboration; and to promote our motto of faith, com-passion and courage. We seek a transformative leader with a strategic vision who will inspire the pupils, staff, parents, alumni and the wider Epworth community as a passionate advocate for the education of the individual pupil.
As Head of School, you will have responsibility for the High School as well as Epworth School in its entirety. You will be working closely with the Deputy Heads: Academic and Pastoral of the High School, the Principal and Deputy Principal of the Preparatory School and the Business Manager to drive and achieve all that Epworth exemplifies.
This position reports directly to the Board of Governors.
POSITION: HEAD OF SCHOOL AND PRINCIPAL OF THE HIGH SCHOOL
COMMENCEMENT DATE: 1 January 2021
PURPOSE: To provide strategic vision and inspirational leadership to all areas of school life and to promote the school in the wider community.
The successful applicant will meet the following requirements:
- Have a recognised educational degree qualification
- SACE registration
- Have at least 5 years’ experience in school management and/or headship level
- Minimum 10 years’ school teaching experience with a varied, professional, educational track record of excellence
- A passion for excellence in balanced education
- A leadership style that values strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as teamwork
- Strong organisational leadership
- An understanding of, or experience in, a boarding environment
- An ongoing personal commitment to professional development
- An interest in, and a commitment to, managing an educational environment with global relevance in a contemporary South African context
- Knowledge and experience in curriculum development, financial management and community relations
- IEB experience will be advantageous
- Be prepared to uphold the Methodist Ethos and Values of the School
- Overall control of and accountability for the smooth running of Epworth School in its entirety, and the High School, in particular
- Provide professional, educational, operational and institutional leadership within Epworth School andthe wider community
- Be responsible for articulating the mission and strategic vision of Epworth
- Work closely and collaborate with the Principal of the Preparatory School, the Business Manager and the Deputy Heads
- Manage and ensure the smooth running of the Boarding Establishment
- Develop the boarding model at Epworth into a world-class facility
- Work in close co-operation with the School Chaplain for the overall spiritual development of all members of the Epworth community
- Encourage best practice in all areas of Epworth and manage, appraise and motivate staff to become role models and experts in their educational fields
- Maintain sound relationships with all stakeholders including, but not limited to, pupils, parents, staff, the School Chaplain, Epworthians, Foundation, Governors and Trustees, the Methodist Church and the wider community
- Oversee all academic and co-curricular programmes, in line with the concept that Epworth offers a holistic education
- Together with the Business Manager, ensure prudent financial and budgetary management of the Schools’ Finances
- Understand and commit to transformation, diversity and inclusivity
- Ensure application, evaluation and development of policies and procedures
- Ensure all applicable legislative compliance
- Ensure sound Corporate Governance
- Answers to accompanying questions (below)
- Motivation Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact details of three referees
Instructions to applicant:
These questions are NOT intended to be philosophical responses, rather conversation-style opinions.
Maximum of 100 words per question please.
Enjoy the exercise!
- What books are you currently reading?
- What are your favourite Leadership books of all time? Few reasons why?
- Your favourite quote? (on any subject)
- Where is your favourite holiday destination – in reality and in your mind? Give reasons why?
- Two achievements in your life (one personal, one professional) of which you are extremely proud?
- Some favourite things – and why?
- Leisure time activities (give us more than one)?
- Finish this sentence “If I could begin to change the world by just doing one thing, I would…
- What saddens you most about today’s world?
- What excites you most about today’s world?
- Is Faith/Spirituality important to you – and why?
- The charity/NPO organisation you support – and why?
- How do you encourage teamwork?
- Who was your favourite school teacher and why?
- What are four items on your bucket-list?
- If you could invite three people (from any time in history, well-known or otherwise) to dine with you, who would they be and give one reason why you would invite them.
EPWORTH SCHOOL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR THIS POSITION OR TO ONLY APPOINT A PRINCIPAL OF THE HIGH SCHOOL.
AN APPLICATION IN ITSELF DOES NOT ENTITLE THE APPLICANT TO AN INTERVIEW.