PIETERMARITZBURG GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL
~ Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal ~
Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School is a leading school for girls, which provides education from Grade 8 to Grade 12. The school has consistently been rated as one of the Top 25 Government Schools within South Africa. The school was founded in 1920 and continues to provide an outstanding education for young women in the academic, cultural and sporting fields.
As a school, our mission is to promote human dignity and equal opportunity, the maximum freedom of the individual within the context of the maximum good for all, excellence according to the talent and interest of each person, a sound set of values, service, a respect for community and environment, a commitment to the search for truth, the acquisition of knowledge and the development of skills.
CONSUMER STUDIES / TECHNOLOGY (START DATE: MAY 2021)
General description of the position:
- To assume the position as an educator of:
• CONSUMER STUDIES: GET and FET Phases
• Life Orientation
- To perform the duties of a “home class” teacher, with attendance/registration and pastoral care responsibilities.
- Extra-mural involvement including, but not exclusively; involved in various school events and functions.
- To attend subject-specific workshops/training and to report back to members of the Department.
- To perform various school duties, including attending after hours meetings, workshops, functions and other school-related duties.
Applicants would need the following personal attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A friendly, dynamic, creative and self-driven personality.
- The ability to take a leadership role and to show initiative in work-related situations but also be able to work successfully as part of a team.
- An attitude of life-long learning with regards to teaching methodologies and the acquisition of knowledge related to the subject.
Necessary qualifications and skills would include:
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree and teaching qualification would be the minimum requirements.
- The candidate must be qualified to teach Technology (Grade 8 & 9) as well as Consumer Studies to Grade 12 level.
- A minimum of 3 years teaching experience of Consumers Studies at Grade 12 level would be a requirement.
- SACE registration.
- A valid and up to date Police clearance.
- To be highly articulate, confident and competent in the delivery of subject content and skills.
- Good computer skills with regards to lesson preparation, presentation and general school administration.
- Excellent classroom management skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with the learners.
ALL GHS staff are expected to:
- Perform all of their duties with integrity and diligence.
- Project a professional demeanour and appearance at all times.
- Develop positive relationships with members of the GHS school community, which includes parents, learners and colleagues.
- Be prepared to support and uphold the ethos of the school as contained in the Mission Statement.
The salary package will be based on qualifications and previous teaching experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 12 MARCH 2021
Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School reserves the right not to fill this position.
If you have not been contacted by the school within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
We thank you for your interest in our school.